Monday 28 November 2011

Concept Visualisation: Features and Expressions


For character development, I wanted the western Zork to have a lot of attitude, to be 'cool' but authentic. I really want Zork to have the right appeal within the genres he imagines himself within, so I decided experimenting with different hair styles and other features like beards, would being creating that personality. In the image above I tried 8 different hair styles from references to my silhouettes  to see which suited the 'style' of Western culture and that of Zork. In all honesty, I became pretty attached to all of them, but out of a mixed combination of all, I decided to choose the very last hair style. The reason for this is because it doesn't look too modern, but it still has the edginess and personality that I wanted.  It also still relates to the original Zork's style, which is a bonus to keep the element of him within each new character.




After looking into hairstyles, I decided to the look at what beard/mustache the Western Zork should have. It is vitally important that the original essence of Zork is shown throw his iconic features, such as the colour of hair, glasses and beard. Even if there is a slight variation, it still should be present. So to keep to the western theme, I experimented with various types of facial hair that could potentially work for the new Hero. The beard  I decided on was the third on top row, because although it is a little 'modern' it represents that personality I want Zork to have, when he is in this character. I think this is the most suitable for that!




Finally! here is my character sheet for the Western Zork, showing this different facial expressions through the game. For this in particular, I had recently learned a lot more about facial anatomy and decided to enhance my cell shading to define certain bones/muscle within the face. I think I did well to highlight cheekbones, jaw, nose and eye sockets here. Making the character still looking cartoon like, but have more realistic features. This all adds more character to the expressions in which Zork pulls, it is a lot more believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment